Total Pageviews

Friday, November 2, 2012

I'm back!

Let's talk about this super storm, Sandy.

Monday we lost power for a bit, I mentioned that earlier this week.
I also mentioned we fired up the generator and my life continued normally.
Monday night/Tuesday morning I went to bed about 1am.
(I'm a night owl.)
A friend on Facebook had just asked me if we had any snow.
No, no - I say - none at all.
Checked the weather right then and there at 1am for Charleston and it says "Light dusting, no accumulation" as the forecast for Tuesday.

I get up at 2am to use the bathroom and look out the window.
Already a light dusting on the grass.
How nice, winter's on the way.

Then I wake up to this.

I went outside at 9am with my ruler.
4 inches of snow.
Everything is covered.
But we were ok.
Until the power went out.

No problem, we've got a giant generator that powers our entire house.
My life can continue just like normal.

Kevin goes out to start it back up.

2pm rolls around.
6 inches of snow.

Kevin continues to work on the generator.
We start to make calls to see if someone can fix it.
Everyone is swamped.

I go out back to see our pool deck.
7 inches.


Tuesday night rolls around - no phone.
Wednesday morning - no water.

We ran over to Kevin's parents house every day to charge our electronics, warm up, take showers, etc...We sat on the phone for 3 days begging any and everyone to come look at the generator.

JJ made the best of it.
Those are fleece footy pajamas under his sweatshirt and sweatpants.
Watching his (battery powered) Leap Pad 2.
He loves that thing.

Also thankful for his DVD player, all charged up, and big warm blankets.

It was cold.
It made us cranky.
Thursday came and we finally got a call that someone would come look at our generator.
He came at 5 and we were so hopeful.
But we were told parts would have to be ordered and that could take up to 3 days.

It was trick-or-treat yesterday.
Kevin was so excited to go with JJ, he misses so much working so hard.
But instead, he ran out to get another generator.
A back up for our back up, he keeps saying.

So, he missed taking this handsome young Buzz out for candy.
(He really wanted pics of the wings)

But we did get a generator, got up and running, and started pumping some heat into this house.
I'll write a better Halloween post later, but just wanted to show you how stinkin' cute JJ was all dressed up.

Now it's Friday.
This afternoon - we got our power back!
I can do laundry!
Which is a good thing, because this is what I'm sporting today...
Desperate times....
But you dirty a lot of clothes when everyone is wearing multiple layers for 4 days.
The bummer? Some of our electronics got fried with all the chaos.
The bright side? Time to go shopping for some new ones!
But seriously, no one was hurt.
No one got sick.
We were stressed and no so pleasant at times...
But we made it.
It could have been so much worse.
Turn on your TV and check out the East Coast, it could have been way worse.

We're just glad to have those last 4 days over with!
Have a wonderful weekend!
I'll be catching up on laundry, vacuuming, and cleaning - and I'm so thankful I get to do so!


cavmary said...

I can tell it was cold because JJ is not running around barefoor and in his underwear :-) So glad you all are okay.

Beth said...

Ha! That made me laugh! My sister always asks me "Why is that kid always naked?!?" Because it's less laundry for me to do :)

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog